Skip to main content

Loner? So now, does being antisocial make me a ‘loner’? Does that mean I’m sad?

Loner? 


You know how it works in schools, or in fact, any institution or even a party, don’t you? If you’re seen hanging out with groups, you’ll be considered an optimistic social butterfly. Or if you stick to one group, you’re seen as either a follower or a leader; nonetheless, you come across as ‘normal’, like you’re absolutely alright. If you hang around with only one or two people, you’re seen as loyal. 

But once you’re all by yourself, BOOM- you’re a loner! 

You’re seen as antisocial, probably sensitive, and maybe even depressed. Some people consider the terms ‘alone’ and ‘lonely’ as synonyms. What they don’t understand is that when you’re alone, that is in solitude, you can enjoy it -- but that can’t happen when you’re lonely.

You can feel lonely in a crowd as well. When you’re alone and satisfied with it, you can enjoy your solace. But when you’re lonely, it feels as if there’s a hole inside which can’t be filled. Being isolated from the society is fine if you’re okay with living with yourself. But when you wish to share a connection and are unable to, you feel disconnected (with almost everything)- physically and mentally.

I get texts almost every day- from people at school, from people at my old school, and (in rare cases) from people at my oldest school. I usually reply back to those texts. But to me, it doesn’t feel like I have a deep relationship  with anyone and I’m not as interactive as I might seem even though I have tons of social media apps on my phone. 

There are two groups I keep fluctuating between; a group in which most members belong in my class, the group whose members tag me in their instagram posts; the second group comprises of those people who I hang out with during breakfast and lunch. In both cases, I barely ever open my mouth to say something (i’m only noticed by them when I’m not paying any attention to their gossip).

So as a conclusion, I can admit that I don’t have friends because my understanding of friendship is a relationship where there’s a sense of understanding - which is absent in most of the relationships I have with people. It’s not their fault at all. So obviously, I would rather be alone, and isolated from people than be with a bunch of school mates and feel lonely.

So now, does being antisocial make me a ‘loner’? Does that mean I’m sad? 

Often, when I’m seen walking down the corridor by myself, people come up to me and ask ‘Are you ok?’ and I feel like asking, ‘is there something wrong with being alone?’. Sometimes, they simply say hello and start walking beside me to act all nice and sweet. Well, the thing is, I feel lonely when I’m with people. So calling me ‘loner’ won’t help your case at all. 

Having no friends is often taken as a negative in this society.  Even being single is! I’m not denying the fact that human connection is required to feel happy. In fact, friendships drive you, optimise you- that is both what I personally feel and what I have heard from adults.  

But they’re not the only elements- call it strange or whatever, but my diary is currently my best friend because I can literally throw words and lines and realizations at it without getting nervous about what it thinks of me. 

 Vice versa, books throw their words at me and I accept them. 

Dance is that amazing companion that gives me a break and makes sures I’m having a good time. It’s the best mode of expression for me. Why I find it exhilarating is because my moves respond to the music, and my head feels like it’s simply floating as I don’t have to comprehend the thoughts that enter my head - for once. 

These things make me feel good, and I find a sense of understanding in my relationships. 

All of this being said, I still yearn for human friendships. Like, real friendships and connections. I still yearn to have two-way conversations. Since that is still not there, I kind of feel like there’s a hole in my heart. I want to be friends with someone I genuinely don’t feel awkward and lonely around. Someone I can lean on. 

Someone or something that makes you happy is what’s supposed to stay, not someone who makes you feel lonely. So just go deeper and see what each relationship - with humans, animals, objects, passions etc. is for you and how it makes you feel. 

Rhea Batra

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Independence in School -- It is the 72nd Year of India’s independence. But we still haven’t been freed from the colonial school system.

The main reason we have not been able to get rid of it is because parents don’t see it as an enemy. I don’t feel free in school at all. I love to learn. Learning makes me happy. But for me learning and school are not synonymous. School is a little bit of learning but a lot of boredom. I feel I have wasted a lot of time. There is so much I wanted to do. But in the eight hours I’m able to do so little. When I reflect at the end of the day, I have learnt two or three things which could be summed up in very little time but we have a spent whole day on understanding them. I feel very trapped because I feel that I’m part of a very scheduled system; something many students have gone through but nothing  constructive ever happens. What kind of freedom am I looking for in school? Uniforms:   Uniform is the worst part of school; the shirt is made by the cheapest material you can find, and in one wash it looks as if it's been through 5 years of use. The pants are the cheap

What's beneath all that Jolly stuff in High school?

So I’m in grade 9 now, and well yes! I’m surrounded by cute, caring high school couples and besties, and partners in crime, and chai buddies and - oh you get the point, right? This all looks jolly and stuff, but really, what’s beneath it all?  We only like to befriend people who’re funny, nice, cute, sweet and, though we hate to admit this, somewhat pretty and good looking. Have we not heard these phrases before? ‘Well, at least your hair looks good’ ‘Lol, puberty’s failed him- look at all those pimples’ ‘She cut her flesh, that weirdo- such an attention seeker!’ ‘You’re lucky to be anorexic’ ‘Well, I’ve got a pretty pair of jeans but they won’t fit you’ ‘You’re not - you shouldn’t lose weight’ They may sound like a joke to others and the speaker itself, but it leaves a deep impact on the listener. They either choose to ignore it and move on to see the ‘bright side’ of people’s remarks, or they just get stuck to these comments and think about it day and night, or they are too nu

My Colony -- Home to only me, or to the street dogs too?

At a young age, my experiences of going out of my house to play with my friends created a stereotype in my head that street dogs are dangerous and they bite, though I did not know the reason for the dogs biting. I could not even bear my grandmother’s dog licking me because it seemed to me like he had bitten me.  As I got older, I met different people with pet dogs in their homes; I became comfortable with them. Then my best friend rescued a pup. I visited him often and watched how he took care of her. Soon I was able to pet her, have fun with her even holding her up close to my face. I did not know then that one year later, I would be adopting one of her pups.  As I started getting comfortable with dogs, one autumn, I noticed that dogs in my colony have started a spate of attacks. Unable to bear it, I eventually asked my mom the reason for these frequent attacks. The answer I got was  “Dogs bite mostly when they are on ‘heat’, for they are very energetic at that time.”  D