Skip to main content

Mission1 : Stormbreaker

The story starts with a brief description of Alex Rider, the 14-year-old hero’s situation at the start of the book. When I started reading the book, it started as a peaceful story and the character of Alex Rider in his house was built up so well that I thought I had an image of who he was in my mind; another neighbourhood teenager.
As the book progressed, things were not as they appeared at first. This was one charismatic guy! The best part about him was his attitude towards life; he never gives up and can also find his way out of any situation. In this book, his enemies find gruesome ways to kill him but he always comes out victorious. I feel that if I were in shoes, I would have died in the first instance but his ingenuity always gets the better of the bad guys.
Alex is an orphan who lived with his secretive uncle Ian Rider and a loving caretaker named Jack. But Alex’s life gets disrupted when he finds out that his uncle has been killed; Jack and Royal & General Bank must take over his Guardianship.
The whole story begins to unwrap with Alex meeting MI6 and they giving him a chance to avenge his uncle’s death. But MI6 had been planning this all along and are manipulating him against his will. As the story progresses Alex is introduced to more of his past than he imagined existed. He tracks down a company with an influential head who wants to annihilate most of Europe’s population.
The entire story revolves around Alex gaining experience and him finding out that he was something special. Even though this story is set in the bustling city of Chelsea, the happenings of the story are set in an underground laboratory and a computer manufacturing facility.
Alex finds himself brushing with death in which we feel that his first assignment may well be his last.  I find Alex’s genius and mental strength very appealing.  Once he is put in a bullet proof tank with a box jellyfish with really long tentacles and potent venom which is fatal to humans. He dissolves the metal frame which releases the glass and the water pressure pops the glass out. The jellyfish then kills the villain’s sidekick standing next to the aquarium.
At this point, the story might start sounding implausible. How did a fourteen-year-old melt the metal? Now Alex has been trained as a spy by his uncle because Alex’s father and grandfather were spies too. So he has many gadgets, knows martial arts, is good at adventure sports like surfing in the ocean, snowboarding, skiing, driving an ATV, wing suit flying, ledge jumping...the list is long.  He can also speak many languages including French, Spanish, German, Italian and Japanese.  
Alex’s enemies in the book, cook up plans which are so horrid that it feels like they are the perfect psychopaths.
The book is written by Anthony Horowitz, an English writer, who was fat and had an unhappy childhood. He spent a lot of time reading books. He was in a boarding school and has had practice in story telling since then; he regaled his school mates with the gory stories he had read from his dad’s library.
He has had help in building up his gory style of storytelling from his mom who surprised him with a human skull and a copy of Frankenstein and Drakula on his thirteenth birthday.
His writing depicts the situation so well that he does not need pictures to illustrate what he has in mind. You can smell the room that his characters are in, feel the temperature and it feels like you are seeing the characters that have been described so well.
For example he describes a sidekick Mr. Grinn who he portrays as a person who has been broken apart and stitched together with the pieces not fitting quite together. While reading description I found it gruesome but funny. Like I could twist his jaws and it would creek, with one jaw going one way and the other the other way.  I was laughing through the book.
In some cases, he takes the description of the antagonists too far. It is not for the faint of heart. But I enjoyed it because each time I thought it can’t get worse, it did.
Horowitz is also a master storyteller. At a place, you feel you know what is going to happen and then he takes you in another direction. Sometimes you can feel betrayed. I can never put his books down once I start. But sometimes I stray too far and have to come back to the land of the living because I feel insecure when I’m very deep into his books.
The author also has a lot of vicarious experience in politics because his father was associated with some of the politicians in the “circle” of Prime Minister Harold Willson. Facing bankruptcy, his father moved his assets into a Swiss numbered bank. The author now lives in Central London with his wife who is a TV producer but has travelled around.  His wife and two sons help him with his stories.
Horowitz is a prolific writer and has written many books and series. The Alex Rider series is one the most famous young adult thriller series and there are 13 in the series. I’m into the ninth one now. One of the reasons I get through these books is also the beauty of the Type set – Officina Sans, my favourite font.
Snakehead – the seventh book in the series is the best because it has the most twists and reveals the most about Alex Rider’s past. I was in tears when the book ended. You have to read the book to understand why I felt so betrayed and why it was so painful. 


Sargam Dey 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Independence in School -- It is the 72nd Year of India’s independence. But we still haven’t been freed from the colonial school system.

The main reason we have not been able to get rid of it is because parents don’t see it as an enemy. I don’t feel free in school at all. I love to learn. Learning makes me happy. But for me learning and school are not synonymous. School is a little bit of learning but a lot of boredom. I feel I have wasted a lot of time. There is so much I wanted to do. But in the eight hours I’m able to do so little. When I reflect at the end of the day, I have learnt two or three things which could be summed up in very little time but we have a spent whole day on understanding them. I feel very trapped because I feel that I’m part of a very scheduled system; something many students have gone through but nothing  constructive ever happens. What kind of freedom am I looking for in school? Uniforms:   Uniform is the worst part of school; the shirt is made by the cheapest material you can find, and in one wash it looks as if it's been through 5 years of use. The pants are the cheap

What's beneath all that Jolly stuff in High school?

So I’m in grade 9 now, and well yes! I’m surrounded by cute, caring high school couples and besties, and partners in crime, and chai buddies and - oh you get the point, right? This all looks jolly and stuff, but really, what’s beneath it all?  We only like to befriend people who’re funny, nice, cute, sweet and, though we hate to admit this, somewhat pretty and good looking. Have we not heard these phrases before? ‘Well, at least your hair looks good’ ‘Lol, puberty’s failed him- look at all those pimples’ ‘She cut her flesh, that weirdo- such an attention seeker!’ ‘You’re lucky to be anorexic’ ‘Well, I’ve got a pretty pair of jeans but they won’t fit you’ ‘You’re not - you shouldn’t lose weight’ They may sound like a joke to others and the speaker itself, but it leaves a deep impact on the listener. They either choose to ignore it and move on to see the ‘bright side’ of people’s remarks, or they just get stuck to these comments and think about it day and night, or they are too nu

My Colony -- Home to only me, or to the street dogs too?

At a young age, my experiences of going out of my house to play with my friends created a stereotype in my head that street dogs are dangerous and they bite, though I did not know the reason for the dogs biting. I could not even bear my grandmother’s dog licking me because it seemed to me like he had bitten me.  As I got older, I met different people with pet dogs in their homes; I became comfortable with them. Then my best friend rescued a pup. I visited him often and watched how he took care of her. Soon I was able to pet her, have fun with her even holding her up close to my face. I did not know then that one year later, I would be adopting one of her pups.  As I started getting comfortable with dogs, one autumn, I noticed that dogs in my colony have started a spate of attacks. Unable to bear it, I eventually asked my mom the reason for these frequent attacks. The answer I got was  “Dogs bite mostly when they are on ‘heat’, for they are very energetic at that time.”  D